Friday, May 14, 2010

"When Life Has Me Weary, Bring Me Your Tea""

It's summer time. You know what that means...sun tea, reading lists and [GASP!] a writing project!

Well, the sun tea is kind of a recent development. My mom used to do it all the time when I was a kid; it'd be so annoying, I'd be on a pretty damn life altering chapter of The Babysitter's Club and she'd call me from work to bring in the tea from off the diving board. Let's just say there were verbal consequences for this...you know, things that consisted of "pssshht" and extensive bargaining of chores I could exchange out for such a demanding task. Yeah, I tried to make it so she wouldn't ask me to do it again. Apparently Nellie and JR were better at that, 'cause she always ended up asking me. Despite my bitching though, the tea made my summers.

Peach, unsweetened, lots of ice.

I've been craving it lately. Yeah, that's right, I've actually been craving summer. Strange oddities. I guess I shall try my hand at it.

Speaking of trying...apparently I should be writing more extensive and demanding pieces. My professor has recommended I aim for writing a novella this summer; something 40-60 pages double-spaced. This frightens and excites me all at the same time. In all seriousness, I feel I have been ridiculously blessed this past semester, to garner such radical support from Mac (visiting professor Kevin McIlvoy). I don't think I've had someone believe in my talent that much before. It kind of feels good, like I've legitimately found my place in creative writing. I mean, he's served on the AWP board (Association of Writers & Writing Programs), is a well-respected author and has directed many MFA Creative Writing programs at various colleges and universities. He's a beast! And every conference I've had with him has been overwhelmingly supportive and encouraging.

And oddly, I'm not sabotaging myself yet. I'm not telling myself "I can't do it, he's crazy"...I mean, sometimes I feel it, but there is actually this little spark inside of me that believes I can. I actually feel confident that this is something I can do. I can be a writer. I will be a writer.

And I'm gonna write the fuck out of this novella.

First drafts are a bitch, and extensive pieces are challenging for me...but what better time than now to try? I have to start somewhere, I guess.

But I'm going to stop typing now 'cause I'm starting to sound like a crappy Canadian after-school special. And for those who like crappy Canadian after-school specials, don't get your panties in hitch...I watch Degrassi, too.

Oh! Quick note: I think I'm going to try and read Willa Cather's repertoire of novels in chronological order? I haven't committed fully to the idea yet (hence the statement in question form), but I'm gonna head to Barnes I think and check out what they have.


Song of the moment: Secret Garden - Bruce Springsteen (Bruce Springsteen Greatest Hits)
Despite what Shea thinks...this song is NOT about sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment